WELCOME TO AMERICAN LEGION T. NULTY POST 471’S WEBSITE!!
To give you a brief history, sometime around 1957-58 several veterans from the Menlo Park Terrace section of Iselin got together and applied for a charter in the American Legion. The charter application was approved and signed by the N.J. Department Commander on December 13th, 1958. The temporary charter was signed by the National Adjutant on January 5th, 1959. The charter was obtained in the name of T. Nulty Post 471 in honor and memory of Thaddeus M. Nulty, who had been one of the original veterans from Menlo Park Terrace. The first Commander was Joseph Mozine who presided over 31 members.
On December 11th, 1960 the permanent Post Charter was transferred to a plot of land at 25 Brown Avenue, Iselin NJ which the Post had obtained from the Township of Woodbridge. On October 29th, 1967 ground breaking was held and on May 30, 1968 the building was dedicated by Mayor Ralph Barone and Post Commander William Henderson.
Through the years Post 471 has continued to grow and become an active community organization, contributing time, energy, and financial support to several projects over the years such as: Woodbridge State School, N.J. Veterans Home at Menlo Park, Scouting organizations, Boys State, Girls State, Legion Baseball, Legion contests at local schools such as Oratorical, Safety Essay, and Coloring Contests, annual Woodbridge Township Community Awards Programs honoring Police, Fire, EMT’s, Teacher’s, and outstanding citizens, Thanksgiving and Christmas baskets to the needy of the Township, establishing an American Legion Blue Star Program and adding a Blue Star Family Support Discussion Group to support our veterans currently serving on active duty and their families, plus several other activities.
At present T. Nulty Post 471 is the largest Post in Middlesex County, and in the top 10 Posts in membership in the state and is led by Commander Ron Davie and Ladies Auxiliary Unit President is Ann Baraniak.